Updated Date: December 20, 2020
To make a simple face mask, two layers of cotton T-shirt can be cut and tied to cover the nose, mouth, and chin, with a filter (such as a paper towel) placed in between the layers. There are many YouTube videos suggesting how to make a homemade face mask.
- face masks must fit snugly over the entire nose and mouth, from ABOVE the nose to BELOW the chin.
- Face masks should be made of multiple layers (at least three layers).
- Cloth masks should be three layers If using loosely-woven cloth like T-shirt material, at least three layers must be used.
The following features should be taken into consideration:
- Number of layers
- Breathability of material used
- Washability of material used
- Shape of face mask
- Fit of face mask
- Color of material
- Should be made of hydrophobic material, in order to repel droplets and moisture (e.g. polyester or polyester and cotton blend).
- Thick-weave cotton fabric like denim, calico or upholstery that can be easily washed.
- Ideally made of two different patterns/colors of cloth to distinguish between inside and outside.
- Two layers of ordinary woven cotton cloth.
- Should be hydrophilic material (e.g. cotton)
- It is important to use a light color, which will make it easy to identify when it is soiled or wet.
- If possible, between the two inner cotton layers, a breathable layer of non-woven fabric washable at high temperatures. Jacket lining material can be substituted.
- An alternative to having an inner layer of non-woven cloth is to create a pocket where a filter (such as coffee filter, tissue paper, or paper towel) can be inserted.
- Can either be an insert or another fabric layer sewn into the mask
- Should Ideally be a strip of polypropylene fabric.
Strings or straps can be sewn, or tied through a small hole at the edge of the face mask.